Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Because I Have Been Given Much...

"The Savior spent much of his time with people who had infirmities, both in Palestine and in the New World. Thus he set the example and invited us to follow him. Can we accept handicaps as differences rather than as signs of inferiority? Can we be selfless enough to fill the void in communication, to push a wheelchair up a ramp, to guide a blind brother or sister to a seat? Can we give something extra of ourselves to fill the void that a handicap may create? If we can, ours is the joyous promise, “When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” (Mosiah 2:17.)"  -Gordan B. Holbrook

This week for FHE my Provo family went to Centennial, a school for autistic children and adults, to join them for their school Halloween dance.  We all dressed up and went and partied with our new friends.  It was a BLAST!!  One boy, Cameron, asked me to dance with him for one of the slow songs.  As I was dancing with him he asked me if I knew how to drive.  I told him yes, and then his eyes got HUGE and he responded, "Well, I can't."  I laughed and told him driving wasn't all it was cracked up to be, which made him laugh.  He then went on to tell me he was working on his social skills; I must admit he was doing very well!  

Some of my family members (Jentry, Maloree, Avery, and Jess) with Cameron (in the light blue)





On our way out, several members of my family commented on how neat of an experience that had been; many had never interacted with handicap people before.  I honestly hadn't really even thought about it being a cool experience, it was honestly just...normal.  After listening to the others' experience, I realized that I maybe have taken for granted some of the amazing people in my life.  I have been so blessed to have grown up with a Down's Syndrome uncle, Bobby, on my dad's side, and an autistic uncle, Jeff, on my mom's side.  Bobby, although no longer here on this earth, taught me a lot of lessons that I think about often in my life.  I don't think I have ever met another person who can call someone a "cow" and have it be taken as a complement.  Bobby loved to arm wrestle, and he was STRONG!  I remember playing several games of basketball with him in his hospital room, and the joy he had every time he made a basket was incredible.  Bobby found joy in life in a way most people can't.  And the way my grandparents cared for him, you would have thought he was King, which I guess after this world, that's what he really is.  

Jeff, although he doesn't have much to say, is amazing to me.  He never cares what I look like, he still wants to give me a hug!  He has more passion in his life then most "normal" people do.  For example, he LOVES piano, and I'm willing to bet in the next life he will give Beethoven a run for his money.  He also LOVES bears!  He cares for his bears...the way some care for their children; I think he will one day be a great father.   

A few years ago I had the chance to work with the special Olympic Utah swim team and I worked at Provo Care, a facility for the mentally disabled.  I always left swim practice or work feeling better about myself and less judgmental towards others.  All of these experiences have not only made me appreciate the special people in my life, but made me more grateful for the life that I have now.

No comments:

Post a Comment